Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Absinthe Anyone?

The talented Matt Jones has put together a fundraiser to bring the works of Ronald Searle here to the States, which would mark the West Coast's first ever exhibition of Searle's amazing artwork!  They were close friends before Searle's passing, and Matt now also runs a Tribute blog which you can find here.  Matt has also been posting the artwork donated by artists here!  I'm really excited, and feel very thankful, to have been able to contribute a piece to the fundraiser. 

Absinthe Anyone? 
Pen & Ink on Bristol Board, 8x10

Here's what it looks like in its frame.  (Big thanks to Vicki Saulls with her help in photographing this!)


Last but not least, below is the initial sketch & font practice.  I decided to make the setting Maison Premiere, an incredible absinthe and oyster bar in Brooklyn that looks like a 1920's speakeasy when you walk in.  First I roughed this up with the bar, seeing how I'd place the people around it, then did the entire sketch in the size I wanted.  I ended up needing to put an ink pass on it to see better on the lightbox, and then traced everything on to the Bristol Board.  From there, a whole lot of inking going on!


I had so much fun working on this!  I loved researching Searle's fantastic work and doing my best at paying tribute to his style and characters.  Thank you Matt, I can't wait to find out how everything goes!

5 comments:

Goosaba said...

Katie, this is great! I like it a lot. Nice work.

Goosaba said...

Katie, this is great! Really nice work, I like it a lot.

katie smith said...

Useooooooooo thank you so much!! My blog liked your comment so much it decided to post it TWICE! Both shall be kept. Both.

Margaret said...

This is amazing!!! I love the kitty at the bar!

katie smith said...

Thank you Margs!! Can you tell what the kitty at the bar is looking at? He is a scandalous cat with no shame.